Sunday, July 13, 2008

Stretching a grocery store dollar.

Ok so if I have to hear about how hard times are getting I may gag. Yes, they are I can tell thanks for sharing. Anyhow, I'm trying to save money on groceries and here are a few ways I've thought up. Hopefully, I can add on to it later.
--I like to buy bags of frozen tilapia or mahi mahi. I like fish but its too expensive fresh. I also buy canned salmon which is wild and I've heard lower in mercury. At the very least its got to be better for you than that color added yuckiness they sell in stores. Both are great cheaper sources of high quality protein. I just bought a bag of mahi mahi (tastes just like chicken I swear) at the wharehouse store for about $10. A can of salmon is about $2.
--Of course buy in bulk. Buy ten chicken breast and freeze the rest. I used to be very hesitant to thaw meat. I still don't like to do it in the microwave. But if your chicken is not old and you thaw in the fridge it doesn't taste any different.
--This is such a grandma trick but add breadcrumbs to all the meat you can (meatballs, salmon patties etc)
--I keep hearing to use chicken thighs. Still trying to master this...
--Italian sausage is actually a pretty good bargain. I put it in all spaghetti sauce. I usually use 2 links and freeze the rest. So about 1.50 for the meat portion of our dinner.

No comments: