Thursday, May 7, 2009

Brown Bread













I made this recipe for brown bread right off the box of vital wheat gluten with some minor substitutions and some slightly less minor mess-ups. This turned out so yummy especially for an all whole grain bread. It wasn't bitter at all and had a good texture. Well, it would have had a better texture had I not screwed up during the rising process. I accidentally stuck it in a too hot oven to rise. Not really a good idea. Here's the recipe:
2 1/2 cups warm water
1Tbsp yeast
1/2 cup molasses (I love molasses!)
1 cup vital wheat gluten
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rye flour
1/4 sesame seeds
1 tsp sea salt

1 to 1 1/2 cups additional whole wheat flour
Combine yeast, molasses and water. Then add dry ingredients. Use additional flour as needed. I needed using the dough hook on my mixer for about 10 minutes. Let rise in a bowl until double. Punch down and shape into loaves. Place in 2 greased 9X5 loaf pans. Let rise about 45 minutes (not in a hot oven ;) ). Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

This recipe originally called for 1/4 cup Millet flour which sounded expensive and I didn't use it.

No comments: